In 1966 Paulino Barbosa Vicente and his cousin Carlos Barbosa Amado decided to buy the 1775 hectares of land offered for sale by an old Portuguese landowner. The Barbosa were farmers and traders of the volcanic island of Fogo, who initially used the land to grow bananas and coconut trees to export in Portugal.
In 1970 they installed the first pot still, thus beginning the production of grogue.
Manuel Barbosa Amado, the sixth of the eight children of Carlos, born in 1971, after studying agronomy in Brazil begins to follow the family ownership. Since 2001 it has transformed the 35 hectares, cultivated with bananas and sugar cane, into organic farming. In the same year a copper alembic fed with direct fire of 250 liters wood was installed. The 9 hectares of sugar cane are located in the Ribeira de Mangue valley.