Built in 1824 on the South of the Isle of Islay, Port Ellen was witness of numerous technological experiments that revolutionized the whisky industry during the 20th century. It was closed in 1930, but came back operating in 1973 by opening a malting center with the task of supplying all the island's distilleries with smoked malted barley.
Closed again in 1983, Port Ellen officially lost its production license in 1992 as well as all its hopes of producing whisky yet. At the beginning of the millennium, most of its buildings were demolished, leaving only some warehouses. Although the late 1990s and the beginning of the millennium were a period of great prosperity for single barrels, this iodised and smoked malt became increasingly rare, making Port Ellen a leader in the world of Scottish distillation and, at the same time, in the world of collecting.